North Ferriby Football Club, Grange Lane, HU14 3AB 01482 634601

Match Report:

North Ferriby VS Seaham Red Star FC

North Ferriby 2 Seaham Red Star 2 

(Ferriby win 7-6 on penalties)

Once again North Ferriby goalkeeper Jordan Douglas was the hero as he saved a sudden death penalty to give his side victory and a place in the next round of the Buildbase FA Vase. Ferriby came back from 2-0 down to take the game to penalties where they once again came out on top against Northern League opponents Seaham Red Star.

This was the proverbial game of two halves as Northern League side Red Star took the game to the Villagers who, it has to be said, were not at their best in the opening 45 minutes. However, some ruthless words of wisdom from manager Chris Bolder at half-time saw the side turn things around.

Bolder admitted to laying the law down to his charges at the break but in a way which saw them back to their old self in the second half of dominating the game. He was also in praise of Douglas who was the penalty hero as he had been in a previous round.

“If we are honest, no beating about the bush, we were awful in the first half and that is no disrespect to Seaham whatsoever but we just didn’t turn up,” admitted Bolder.

“Once again we had a good discussion at half-time and the second half you saw more of what we are about. We controlled the game and once we got the goal we knew we would go on and get something from the game. When we get that kind of flow and momentum to our game we are a decent side. 

“I think they started bright and came at us and they looked sharp on the counterattack and we were a little bit like rabbit in the headlights to start off with. I think the goals are awful from our point of view. We addressed certain things at half-time and spoke to the players about what we want to do and what we are good at and I thought we did that second half. 

“We controlled the ball, we moved it from side to side really well and we got in behind at the right times. We definitely had momentum and when you go to penalties it is a lottery but once again outstanding saves from Jordan, as he did at Wythenshawe, and a massive character from the lads to step up and take a penalty.”

With five minutes gone Douglas was called into action when a foul on the edge of the box saw him pull off a superb save from a Sean McRoberts shot. Ferriby replied and had the ball in the net when Ben Leyland headed the ball back into the area only for Niall Tilsley to be called offside.

It was then Ferriby seemed to go into their shells and nothing they tried came off and it led to the Northern League side taking the lead on 18 minutes. Ferriby gave away a soft penalty when they were guilty of climbing all over the player and Luke Sullivan slotted the spot kick home.

Nothing seemed to be going right for Ferriby as Leigh Hutchinson was booked for flattening Seaham full back Daniel Sayer and later in the half full back Liam Nelthorpe was sin binned for dissent. In between time the visitors doubled their lead when Ferriby fell foul to a short corner as Andrew Johnson flicked the ball into the net at the near post.

Whatever Bolder said at half-time worked as Ferriby came out a different team with skipper Tilsley going in the book early on for an over zealous challenge. They did however create a great chance but Hutchinson skewed his shot over the bar but things were beginning to develop.

The breakthrough came when Laurence McKay was fouled and he took the free kick himself for Tom Corner to get a touch and for Levi Tarbotton to bundle the ball into the net for his second in as many matches. It was now all Ferriby and the equaliser came twelve minutes later.

A through ball saw Danny East into the penalty area before his legs were taken from him by David Henderson and substitute Danny Buttle stepped up to fire the penalty to level matters. It was now about who would have the momentum to go and win the game.

Penalties are a lottery but, as they proved at Wythenshawe, Ferriby had the winning mentality but it didn’t start well as Buttle hit the post with the opener. McKay, Iwan Heeley, Leyland, Gary Bradshaw and Tilsley all scored with Seaham missing their second and crucially their seventh superbly well saved by Douglas to take Ferriby through.

Covid restrictions permitting North Ferriby will entertain another Northern League side West Auckland in the last 32 of the competition. The visitors are famous for being the side to having won the Sir Thomas Lipton Trophy, known as the first World Cup and they will visit the Dransfield on Saturday 9th January kick off 3 p.m.



FERRIBY: Jordan Douglas, Liam Nelthorpe, Laurence McKay, Levi Tarbotton, Niall Tilsley, Iwan Heeley, Ben Leyland, Louis Kirk, Leigh Hutchinson, Danny East, Tom Corner Subs: Joel Shortland, Lewis Exall, Danny Buttle (Nelthorpe 67), Gary Bradshaw (Hutchinson 74)

Goals: Tarbotton (61), Buttle (72 pen)

Penalties: 7 Buttle (missed), McKay (scored), Heeley (scored), Leyland (scored), Bradshaw (scored), Kirk (scored), Tarbotton (scored), Tilsley (scored)


SEAHAM: Andrew Jennison, Joseph Hailes, Daniel Sayer, David Henderson, Thomas Bott, Daniel Hawkins, Sean McRoberts, Paul Gardiner, Andrew Johnson, Luke Sullivan, Harry Wood Subs: Jason Blackburn, Paul Hodgson (Sullivan 68), Nathan Lawrence, Thomas Lawson (Wood 67), Taylor Richardson (McRoberts 76), Alex Morland

Goals: Sullivan (18 pen), Johnson (31)

Penalties: 6 Johnson (scored), Hawkins (missed), Bott (scored), Hailes (scored), Richardson (scored), Sayer (scored), Gardiner (scored), Henderson (missed)

REFEREE: Neil Howlett

MAN OF THE MATCH: Jordan Douglas