North Ferriby Football Club, Grange Lane, HU14 3AB 01482 634601

Match Report:

Campion VS North Ferriby

Campion 0 North Ferriby 2


North Ferriby sent out a massive statement of intent to the rest of the Northern Counties East League after their 2-0 win over then league leaders Campion. TheBradford side were top of the table having won seven from seven until the Villagers put in a magnificent performance to take the spoils.

Incessant rain met the visitors when they arrived and it didn’t ease for the full 90 minutes in a game which Ferriby totally dominated. They led 1-0 at half-time through a first goal of the season for Tom Corner but created enough chances once again to have been out of sight. 

It was a delighted manager Chris Bolder who for once didn’t see his side make hard work of things in the second half which has happened of late. This time they dominated throughout with the only down side they didn’t score more goals.

“We were great again in the first half creating numerous chances but frustratingly only coming in leading 1-0,” said Bolder.

“It was a great 90 minute performance in difficult conditions and we proved to be a threat for the full game, finishing the game on top. It was a wet and heavy pitch but which held up really well especially towards the end.

“To come to a place where they are seven from seven to start the season and beat them in their own back yard and to keep them to nil is great. We know we have a few tired bodies out there and we will have to see how we are ahead of Tuesday home game with Winterton.”

Ferriby asserted early pressure and which saw Campion’s Aiden Kearsley earn himself a yellow card before the visitors had a penalty appeal waved away. Iwan Heeley was then booked for an overzealous challenge as Ferriby continued to press and rightly opened the scoring.

Tom Corner had a chance when he put a shot past the far post before he was in the right place to score minutes later. Then on 31 minutes Danny East played in Laurence McKay for his cross to be well saved by Campion keeper Stephen Kerr only for Corner to tap home the loose ball.

It should have been two just before half-time when East raced through beating the offside trap for a one on one with the keeper. The ball bobbled up at the wrong time as he sent the ball over the bar and the chance was gone.

Campion briefly trouble the Ferriby defence as they had their own shout for a penalty when Aiden Kirby went down in the box. It looked like Ferriby keeper Lewis Exall had brought him down but the free kick went the visitors’ way when Kirby was penalised for diving.

The second half was more about the weather then the football but once again Bolder’s substitutions paid off as Danny Buttle replaced Corner. Ben Leyland fired over with another chance before Scott Phillips replaced Jamie Forrester.

East again went close before ten minutes from time Ferriby added their second from a Buttle corner which he launched into the area. It found the head of Iwan Heeley who powered the ball into the back of the net as Ferriby saw out the game for a tremendous win.


Campion: Stephen Kerr, Jason Carney, Aiden Kearsley, Scott Eastwood, Graham Hall, Robbie Graham, Edward Tordoff, Aiden Day, Joe Jaggar, Aiden Kirby, Sean Hunter Subs: Patrick Sykes, Lennon O’Grady, Andrew McCreadie, Luke Harrop, Elliott Lightowler


Ferriby: Lewis Exall, Ben Leyland, Levi Tarbotton, Niall Tilsley, Laurence McKay, Louis Kirk, Iwan Heeley, Jamie Forrester, Danny Emerton, Danny East, Tom Corner Subs: Jordan Douglas, Joel Shortland, Danny Buttle, Scott Phillips, Josh Street

Goals: Corner (31), Heeley (80)


Referee: Graham Hoggarth

Man of the match: Danny East

Attendance: 257