North Ferriby Football Club, Grange Lane, HU14 3AB 01482 634601

Match Report:

Glasshoughton Welfare VS North Ferriby

Glasshoughton Welfare 2 North Ferriby 3

It may have been their first away win of the season but North Ferriby were left hanging on for it when they won 3-2 at Glasshoughton Welfare on Tuesday night. The Villagers were cruising at 3-0 at half-time but a poor second half performance saw Welfare get back into the game.

After last weekend’s comfortable 3-0 win over Dronsfield, Ferriby looked to have rid themselves of shipping late goals. First half goals from Jamie Forrester, Niall Tilsley and Leigh Hutchinson saw them in front but goals from Samuel Nelson and a 90th minute Mark Ferguson penalty saw a nervy end.

Manager Chris Bolder was pleased to have gained three points which takes his side up to third in the table. However the second half performance wasn’t to his liking and words were spoken afterwards in a bid to alleviate the late goals.

“At the end of the day we are in a results based industry and we got the result which is what we came for,” said Bolder.

“We lost here 1-0 last season and if you had offered me three points before the start of the game I would have taken them and we ultimately got them. To be 3-0 up at half-time and no disrespect to the opposition we were cruising.

“The second half saw us let them back into it and it was a bit of an edgy affair which is really disappointing for us. We had a good chat about it in the dressing room after the game because there are certain patterns emerging which at this moment in time we need to address.

“We will keep plugging away and the bottom line is we have played five games and got ten points which is two points per game. We are okay but we have to eradicate letting in those late goals but I am certain we will get there.”

It took time for both sides to get into the game but a foul on Leigh Hutchinson outside the box was in Jamie Forrester territory. He had failed with a volley a minute earlier but the free kick fired into the bottom corner sailing past Welfare keeper Lewis French just shy of the half hour. 

One quickly went to two after a brilliant double save from French both coming from Niall Tilsley from a header and a shot. Another Forrester free kick saw a wicked bounce off the keeper for Tilsley to then head into an empty net five minutes from the break.

Leigh Hutchinson then made it 3-0 on 45 minutes when he headed into the bottom corner from an excellent cross by Danny Buttle. Ferriby looked to be heading for a comfortable win but things didn’t pan out that way.

It was Glasshoughton who showed first in the second half and this brought the best out of Ferriby keeper Lewis Exall. However on 55 minutes poor defending by the Villagers at a corner saw Samuel Nelson manage to head the ball home.

Tilsley did have a header cleared off the line which could have put the game out of sight but Welfare replied in the final minute. A penalty was awarded and Mark Ferguson stepped up to put the ball past Exall for 3-2 as Iwan Heeley ended the game in the sin bin for dissent.



Glasshoughton: Lewis French, Nicholas Lalousis, Nathan Cunliffe, Josh Corbett, Adam Walsh, Aaron Grey, Fidel Mhola, Samuel Nelson, Mark Ferguson, Daniel Youel, Ashley Bell Subs: Joe Milner, Leo Holbrook, Regan Dixon, Jordan Carter

Goals: Nelson (55), Ferguson (90 pen)


Ferriby: Lewis Exall, Ben Leyland, Laurence McKay, Levi Tarbotton, Niall Tilsley, Jamie Forrester, Danny Emerton, Joel Shortland, Scott Philips, Leigh Hutchinson, Danny Buttle Subs: Gary Bradshaw, Jordan Douglas, Tom Corner, Iwan Heeley, Louis Kirk

Goals: Forrester (27), Tilsley (40), Hutchinson (45)


Referee: Colin Bailey

Attendance: 126

Man of the match: Leigh Hutchinson