North Ferriby Football Club, Grange Lane, HU14 3AB 01482 634601

Match Report:

Emley FC VS North Ferriby

Emley 1 North Ferriby 0


The curse of the late goal struck North Ferriby again when a 92nd minute goal saw them fall to a 1-0 defeat at Emley on Tuesday night. This is the third time the Villagers have conceded a late goal but this time it would be at their cost as they ended the game by losing.

It was a first half of missed opportunities by Ferriby but once again they had a perfectly good goal chalked off early on. Striker Scott Phillips was put through on goal and scored only for the flag to be raised for offside.

Manager Chris Bolder knows his side’s first half domination should have seen them out of sight by half-time. The second half was less impressive and it was again a lapse in concentration which was to send the Villagers to their first defeat of the season.

“It’s not good enough, three goals we have conceded all in stoppage time,” said a frustrated Bolder.

“It was a momentary lapse in concentration after our first half performance where we absolutely dominated the game. We had seven shots at goal and we should be coming in at half-time in front but we didn’t take our chances.

“It’s important that we don’t get beaten and you don’t concede but a moment of a decent cross which comes in and we have paid the price. The game in the second half turned into a game which had loads and loads of little niggles.

“There was no real football played in the second half as opposed to the first half where we controlled the game. If they are going to shell it and put it on us it is important we defended resolutely which we did but it is important not to get beat but we did.”

Ferriby hit the ground running when Tom Corner had a shot blocked from close range and was then booked a few minutes later. Phillips then had his goal disallowed to further frustrate the Villagers before a Josh Dennett strike brought a good save out of Emley keeper Gary Stevens.

The positive trend continued as Levi Tarbotton shot wide before a well worked free kick saw a Niall Tilsley header go wide. Despite all their chances and opportunities they trooped off to the changing rooms at the break still goalless.

An early Danny Buttle cross again saw Corner go close whilst at the other end Ferriby goalkeeper Lewis Exall came up with a point blank save. Emley also had a shout for a penalty but Ferriby were given a free kick for offside instead.

Iwan Heeley then picked up a booking and the width of the post denied Ben Leyland with a 35 yard thunderbolt which struck it. Tilsley and Dennett were both cautioned late on before the late goal curse struck again.

Emley’s Adam Haw had come on as a substitute with nine minutes to go and was on the end of a decent cross. His downward header was out of the reach of Exall and with no time to recover Ferriby went home with no points.


Emley: Gary Stevens, Marcus Haydock, Dominic Riordan, Jamie Price, James Knowles, Sam Pashley, Kane Reece, Tom Claisse, Aiden Savoury, Jimmy Eyles, Callum Charlton Subs: Josh Dickinson, Connor Glavin, Kyle Willis, Adam Haw, Luke Cranswick

Goal: Haw (90+2)


Ferriby: Lewis Exall, Josh Dennett, Levi Tarbotton, Niall Tilsley, Ben Leyland, Louis Kirk, Iwan Heeley, Danny Emerton, Danny Buttle, Tom Corner, Scott Philips Subs: Jordan Douglas, Joel Shortland, Jamie Forrester, Tom Oliver, Gary Bradshaw

Referee: Phillip Morton

Attendance: 208