North Ferriby Football Club, Grange Lane, HU14 3AB 01482 634601

Match Report:

North Ferriby VS Gainsborough Trinity FC

North Ferriby FC  2 - 2  Gainsborough Trinity


Game of two halves as Trinity fight back to draw

NCEL Division One team North Ferriby FC raced into a two-goal lead in the first half against Northern Premier club Gainsborough Trinity, but Curtis Woodhouse’s team fought back in the second half to see the game finish two goals a piece at the Dransfield.


Story of the game

It was a high tempo start to the game, as Gainsborough pressed high. Scott Phillips had the first chance of the game, with his diving header just going wide on the four-minute mark. The hosts started very much on the front foot, with another attempt blocked soon after. The pressure told on seven minutes, when Gainsborough keeper Harrison Male was put under pressure and from the poor clearance, there was a last ditch block from the Gainsborough defender on the line – only for Danny East’s cross to be headed home by Phillips to make it 1-0 to Ferriby.

Gainsborough grew into the match as the fifteen-minute mark approached. Luke Lofts had a shot that went just over, as did Reco FyfeRod Orlando started to make his mark and impress out on the right for the visitors, making a nuisance of himself and drawing constant fouls from the Ferriby back line. Niall Tildsley’s thundering tackle on Lewis Collins showed that the hosts meant business in the early stages.

Jordan Douglas was called into action after 35 minutes, with Connor Smythe getting forward to test the home keeper. Some strong challenges from both sides were keeping referee Adam Shimmin busy, and it got worse for the visitors. Simon Ainge went into the book for Gainsborough when he gave away a penalty with half time approaching. Danny East coolly slotted the spot kick home to make it 2-0 to the home side. It was almost 3-0 when East’s floated cross saw Phillips head over off balance.

Gainsborough made all their substitutions at half time, with Curtis Woodhouse looking to get his team back into the game. Danny East also made way with an injury – Jamie Forrester came into midfield to replace him. There wasn’t much in terms of chances in the opening fifteen minutes, but Gainsborough started to come into the game a little more as Danny Buttle and Kieran McCaffrey entered for the hosts. Jamie Forrester was lucky to escape a card after a challenge on Fyfe. 

The pressure told just after the hour mark. A great cross by Dennison found substitute Ben Tomlinson in the area, who made no mistake to make it 2-1. This was very much game on and with Gainsborough three divisions above their hosts, they were keen to draw level. Loz McKaygave them the opportunity to do so from the spot, diving into the challenge in the area leaving referee Shimmin no real option but to give the penalty. Martin Woolford dispatched the penalty to make it 2-2.

Soon after, a drive forward by Ben Leyland saw Danny Buttle’s shot tipped over by the Gainsborough keeper. Tom Oliver couldn’t quite get on the end of Buttle’s cross as the final fifteen minutes of the game approached, and from the counter attack Levi Tarbotton had to put a bouncing ball over the top out for a corner. A clear foul was missed on Buttle as the winger tried to break, with both sides pressing for the next goal as the game drew to a close. Jordan Douglas pulled off a great save with two minutes to go to keep the scores level and see the game finish as a draw.



North Ferriby FC: Douglas; Leyland, McKay, Tarbotton, Tilsley, Heeley, Emerton, Kirk, Phillips, East, Corner.

Substitutions: Exall, McCaffrey, Bradshaw, Forrester, Buttle, Oliver.

Gainsborough Trinity: Male; Dennison, Smythe, Williamson, Ainge, Vann, Orlando, Bucci, Fyfe, Collins, Lofts.

Substitutions: Byles, Woolford, Tomlinson, Bacon, Walters.