North Ferriby Football Club, Grange Lane, HU14 3AB 01482 634601

Match Report:

North Ferriby VS South Cave

Villagers open pre-season with a hard fought draw


North Ferriby 1-1 South Cave United 
Ferriby: East (27 mins); South Cave: Brocklesby (80 mins).


North Ferriby FC and South Cave United fought a closely contested battle that saw both sides score a goal a piece at the Dransfield Stadium.

North Ferriby returned to action after a lengthy lay-off against a spirited South Cave side who made the Villagers work hard for their draw. The NCEL Division One side scored in the first half through new signing Danny East, but the Humber Premier League side drew level with ten minutes remaining through substitute Max Brocklesby.

Story of the match

After a fairly even first five minutes, it was North Ferriby who had the opening chance of the game. Tom Corner took the ball into the area, but his shot was smartly saved by South Cave goalkeeper Matt Johnson. On reflection Corner will be disappointed he did not open the scoring, with perhaps too much time to pick his spot. South Cave were an organized side who were making the Villagers work hard in the opening 15 minutes.

On 18 minutes, a ball in behind presented a golden opportunity for Tom Corner to square the ball, but South Cave scrambled it behind for a corner. Danny East’s header soon afterwards was well saved by Johnson, but the offside flag was raised against the debutant. Corner brought another outstanding save out of the United keeper who was in formidable form.

South Cave had a great chance on 20 minutes. A long ball from the keeper was chased by Harvey Newton, who crossed for Tommy Gayton to bring an outstanding save out of Lewis Exall in the Ferriby goal. South Cave cleared a Niall Tilsleyeffort off the line following a corner, with Ferriby starting to control the game a little more through the middle and on the wings, and they went ahead on 27 minutes. Tom Corner unselfishly squared the ball to Danny East to score on hisFerriby debut to make it 1-0.

East had the chance to make it two on 34 minutes but skied his effort under pressure from the United defense following a free kick. Danny Buttle’s crosses were creating some half chances for the home side as Ferriby really started to take control of the game in the latter stages of the first period.Liam Nelthorpe had a chance after an excellent cross, but his volley flew wide. Levi Tarbotton – outstanding at the back in the first half – won the ball in his own half, sprayed it 35 yards to Danny Buttle who put a superb cross to the back post. Tom Corner, however, saw his header saved as the first half drew to a close. Charlie Cleminshaw did have a headed chance for South Cave but didn’t get enough purchase on it and saw the effort drift harmlessly wide as the whistle blew for half time. Ferriby were well worth their 1-0 lead, but United had made them work hard in the opening period.

The second half saw Ferriby change their line up with all the substitutes coming onto the pitch, including Jordan Douglasin goal. One of these substitutes – Gary Bradshaw – got a stern word from the referee after an overly strong challenge that was no doubt exacerbated by the ex-Hull City man slipping on the ball in the challenge. Jason Mycoe’s superb 45-yard ball deserved more, but South Cave were able to smother the chance.

Ferriby should have had a free kick on the edge of the area when Scott Phillips was fouled, but the referee Dave Hawkins saw nothing doing. Soon after Phillips found himself in behind, but the assistant’s flag was raised for offside against the new signing. South Cave substitute Jamie Eccleswas fortunate that the referee did not see the kick out aimed at a Ferriby midfielder, but it was Joel Shortland who was the first player in the book in a game that was starting to see a few tasty challenges.

South Cave gave as good as they got in the second half, but had no real chances to speak of with around 15 minutes of the game remaining. Ferriby were happy to keep the ball and look for the ball in behind, but both sides were still trying to find their rhythm after a long lay-off without competitive football. South Cave equalized after Ferriby failed to clear the ball with Max Brocklesby finishing from inside the area to make the score 1-1.

This set up the last ten minutes well as both teams endeavoredto win it. South Cave came close but Chris Short couldn’t get his shot away as Ferriby cleared their lines hastily. 


North Ferriby FC: Exall, Nelthorpe, Leyland, LTarbotton; Forrester, Emerton, Kirk, Buttle; East, Corner.

Substitutes: Douglas, Mycoe, Shortland, McCaffrey, Oliver, Bradshaw, Phillips.

South Cave United: Johnson; Elliot, Wright, Cleminshaw, Coulbeck; Newton, Short, Gayton, Bannister, C Tarbotton; Astill.

Substitutes: Eccles, J Tarbotton, Brocklesby, Borman, Robinson, Dykes.