North Ferriby Football Club, Grange Lane, HU14 3AB 01482 634601

Match Report:

North Ferriby VS Brigg Town

North Ferriby 3 Brigg Town 1

By Mark Chestney

North Ferriby used the strong wind to their advantage as they beat Brigg Town 3-1 on Saturday to make it ten games unbeaten. It was a win which takes them up to fourth in the table but still five points behind new leaders Selby Town.

Ferriby led 3-0 at the break but it could have been a whole lot more as they carved out many goal scoring opportunities. It was then a great defensive second half effort, despite the strong wind dropping for a time, that ensured the win.

However Ferriby manager Chris Bolder was still of the opinion his side need to be more clinical in front of goal. Bolder was happy with the excellent win but disappointed they conceded a goal so very late in the game.

“We did play some good stuff, we were deserved leaders at half-time and we can take plenty of positives but we still have to be more clinical in front of goal as we had some outstanding chance,” said Bolder. 

“Playing with the wind in the first half we managed to get into a 3-0 lead but I am disappointed that we didn’t come up with more goals. In the second half we managed the game and again came up with some good stuff but deeply disappointed to concede such a late goal when we pride ourselves on clean sheets”.

The writing was on the wall for Brigg in the opening stages and the only surprise was that Ferriby didn’t open their account until the 16th minute. A minute earlier a superb cross from Laurence McKay saw a fierce drive into the side netting by Danny Emerton.

Emerton then put in a superb cross from the left which was headed goalward by Tom Corner but it hit the bar. The ball dropped down and rebounded off Brigg full back Jay Pembleton and trickled over the line for a 1-0 lead.

Brigg showed only attacking glimpses but a warning shot was fired on 23 minutes when a combination of Danny Boulton and Ryan Thompson led to a Boulton shot hitting the Ferriby left post. The Villagers then went back down the other end to double their lead with a penalty.

Luke Lofts made a great run into the box before the ball fell at the feet of Brody Robertson who was upended and the referee pointed to the spot. Man of the match Jamie Forrester stepped up and rifled the spot kick high into the top corner for a 2-0 lead.

It got even better just a minute later when a mix up in the Brigg defence saw full back Charlie Dolling lose possession. The ball found Lofts who fired the ball past Brigg keeper Paddy Shaw, who to be fair to him really kept his side in the game.

The second half saw Brigg attacking with the use of a lesser wind but not with the powerful impetus of the home side who remained solid in defence. Ferriby had other chances to increase their lead but Brigg managed to stifle their attacking prowess.

The visitors thought they had pulled a goal back on 82 minutes when Jake Reed slotted the ball home only to be called offside. But they did manage to get a goal in the final minute when a scramble in the Ferriby penalty area saw Joe Smithson prod the ball home.


Ferriby: Lewis Exall, Jason Mycoe, Laurence McKay, Levi Tarbotton, James Piercy, Eddie Birch, Danny Emerton, Jamie Forrester, Tom Corner, Luke Lofts, Brody Robertson Subs: Joel Shortland, Jordan Douglas, Joe Dale (Robertson (88), Gary Bradshaw (Lofts 66), Will Annan (Emerton 86) 

Brigg Town: Paddy Shaw, Charlie Dolling, Jay Pembleton, Joe Smithson, Ryan Short, Tom Raithby, Martin Pembleton, Jake Reed, Reece Moody, Danny Boulton, Ryan Thompson Subs: Joe Edwards (Boulton 74), Ash Ellis, Jack Tierney (Short 61), Tom Pearson (Raithby 71)

Referee: Lee Bramley