North Ferriby Football Club, Grange Lane, HU14 3AB 01482 634601

Match Report:

Worsbrough Bridge Athletic VS North Ferriby

Worsbrough Bridge Athletic FC v North Ferriby FC Match Report (18.1.20)

Urban Newton

North Ferriby FC squad: Lewis Exall; Ben Leyland, Levi Tarbotton, James Piercy ©, Joel Shortland; Russ Fry, Louis Kirk; Joe Dale (off 72'), Eddy Birch, Danny Emerton; Tom Corner (off 64')

Substitutes: Jordan Douglas, Jack Mail, Kieran Walker, Tom Oliver (on 72'), Gary Bradshaw (on 64')

North Ferriby FC drew 1-1 away at Worsbrough Bridge in Barnsley. The Villagers were pegged back after Tom Corner put them ahead in the second half.

The first half was forty-five minutes of football easy to forget. The pitch was hilly and bobbly to say the least, looking like it had recently been ploughed in places, but that was no excuse for the showing before the interval.

There were very few moments to note.

The Villagers started with some promising play down the right with Ben Leyland and Tom Corner though the Ferriby pressure soon faded.

Danny Emerton had a freekick from a crossing position on the left tipped over well by the Athletic goalkeeper with James Piercy lurking at back-post behind, but it was the hosts who edged a poor half all-round.

Five minutes before the break, a Worsbrough centre-half headed free from point-blank at a free-kick. It beat keeper Lewis Exall but not the recovering Piercy who hooked away from under his own crossbar well.

As has been seen so much this season, Chris Bolder's half-time team talk seemed to have worked wonders with Ferriby leading on fifty-one minutes.

The home goalkeeper rolled a goal kick to the feet of a welcoming Corner woefully. Corner only had to take two touches to compose himself before slotting home from ten yards at near-post. That takes the striker to a tally of fifteen in the league.

After a spell of toing and froing yet neither side creating anything meaningful, the hosts levelled out of nowhere. Ferriby failed to clear a deep freekick and the Worsbrough striker hit a fine volley just inside the area on the left. It went across Exall and hit the underside of the bar, bouncing back out of the goal. One of the assistant referees gave the goal however on seventy-one minutes.

The game then went a bit stale, returning to its state in the first half. Long balls were the order of the day for both sides as the pitch cut up badly late on.

Tom Oliver linked well with fellow substitute Gary Bradshaw well though. The latter even struck a fierce shot from the penalty spot unfortunately straight at the goalkeeper with five minutes left.

The game ended a goal apiece however, a fair scoreline given a lack of quality was evident across the full ninety minutes.