North Ferriby Football Club, Grange Lane, HU14 3AB 01482 634601

Match Report:

North Ferriby VS Bridlington Town

East Riding Senior Cup Round Two Match Report (3.12.19)

North Ferriby FC 4  Bridlington Town AFC 2

Tom Corner's double helped North Ferriby FC progress through to the third round of the East Riding Senior Cup on Tuesday night. The Villagers beat Bridlington Town 4-2.

Chris Bolder's side fairly comfortably defeated the team placed a division higher than them on a cold, crisp evening at the Dransfield Stadium.

Ferriby were by far the superior team over the first forty-five minutes.

On fourteen minutes, Corner hit a speculative effort from the centre of the Bridlington eighteen-yard-box well over. That was just after winger Joe Dale also hit high with a fantastic half volley from twenty-yards out on the left.

The Villagers did get their deserved lead just six minutes later however.

Ben Leyland enjoyed underlapping on the right-hand side regularly and he cutback for Corner on the by-line. The striker got on the end of it with ease just inside the six-yard area and side-footed into the goalkeeper's bottom left corner.

It did not take long for their lead to be doubled either, courtesy of another from Corner.

Dale dispossessed last man Fraser Pappirill high on the left wing and simply rolled it into the path of the onrushing Corner. The striker had the full goal to aim at, as he rolled the ball home nonchalantly from about ten yards.

Similarly to Saturday's fixture against Winterton Rangers, half-time brought an unwelcome change of quality to the affair.

Bridlington finally started to show a bit of urgency in their play but lacked any sort of cutting edge in the final third.

The Villagers also went close at consecutive corners. Corner missed a free header from close-range and Levi Tarbotton flicked on at near post just over. Both those chances came from smart set-piece routines.

After a lot of toing and froing with no real quality from either side, Ferriby went 3-0 up on the hour mark.

Corner was scythed down just over twenty yards out from the Brid goal. The returning Jamie Forrester stepped up for the free-kick and whipped it tremendously over the wall and inside of the near post. Goalkeeper James Hitchcock was left stranded to the spot.

Just four minutes later, the Seasiders did actually find the back of the Ferriby net. Mark Hutchinson was found in acres of space on the inside right and he finished low across Jordan Douglas with two neat, clean touches.

Laurence McKay went up the other end and hit a cross that bounced off one post, rolled across the goal line and then ricocheted off the other post, before the game turned very stale.

There was to be two goals in stoppage time however.

Andy Taylor clipped a ball for Dale to run onto through the centre of the pitch for Ferriby. Dale was met by the onrushing Hitchcock but his block found Sam Robinson who simply lifted his rebound from fifteen yards over two retreating defenders.

In the ninety-fourth minute, Town were also awarded a penalty in a crowded home penalty area. Hutchinson stepped up and slotted for his brace.

Six goals, but not exactly a thriller, as Ferriby's inaugural East Riding Senior Cup journey continues.

North Ferriby FC squad: Jordan Douglas; Ben Leyland, Laurence McKay, Levi Tarbotton, James Piercy ©; Jamie Forrester (off 68'), Louis Kirk (off 68'); Joe Dale, Andy Taylor, Tom Oliver; Tom Corner (off 72')

Substitutes: Dan Nichols, Lewis Exall, Keiron Walker (on 68'), Sam Robinson (on 72'), Jason Mycoe (on 68')

Attendance: 217


Urban Newton