North Ferriby Football Club, Grange Lane, HU14 3AB 01482 634601

Match Report:

North Ferriby VS Nostell Miners Welfare

Andy Taylor scored on his debut as North Ferriby FC beat Nostell Miners Welfare 1-0 at the Dransfield Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

The game was full of many chances for both sides, though the Villagers were fortunately not made to rue their attempts at increasing their early lead.

Ferriby hit the woodwork within the first two minutes of play. A neat flick around the corner from Tom Corner on the right-hand side found Eddie Birch, who laid it off to Taylor. His side-footed effort could only find goalkeeper Danny Rusling's left post.

Five minutes later, the visitors went close. Richard Collier's fizzed cross from the left towards Calum Ward was dealt well by Dan Nichols in the home six-yard-box.

Chris Bolder's men hit the post again later on and it was Taylor again. The ball fell to the striker on the right edge of the Nostell area and tried to place his shot into the far bottom corner. The keeper was stranded but it ricocheted off the inside of the post.

Nostell had their first shot on target just after the half hour mark. Kane Reece cut inside from the left but his right-footed effort was straight at Ferriby number one Jordan Douglas.

Taylor put Ferriby ahead on his debut for the Villagers on thirty-five minutes. Norton had the ball wide right and used Ben Leyland's overlap as a decoy. He cut inside and fired across Rusling, who could only palm into Taylor's path from point-blank range. He simply could not miss.

Just prior to that, Jack Owen went through one-on-one for Nostell. Laurence McKay and another debutant Levi Tarbotton left the ball for edge other and Owen was in on a slight angle. Douglas got his angles covered forced the striker to hit well over.

Though chances came in equal measure, it was the Villagers who dominated the first forty-five.

They came out from the interval eager to find the back of the net more too. Both fullbacks McKay and Leyland personified their side's intent, driving beyond the midfield into advanced positions regularly.

Birch forced a fantastic diving save out of the visiting goalkeeper on fifty-eight minutes. Corner's backheel from the inside-right channel arrived to Birch eighteen yards out and his high effort across Rusling caused a good save.

Nostell went extremely close to equalizing two minutes later. Reece found himself in plenty of space on the right and tried to chip Douglas from quite an acute angle about fifteen yards out. It beat Douglas and was headed away by McKay from under his own crossbar superbly.

Morgan Brough replaced scorer Taylor and went close with twenty minutes left. He was in behind on the left and tried to beat the last man with body feints. He ended up going outside onto his left foot and could only roll his shot tamely across Rusling's goal.

Brough had the ball in the back of the net for Ferriby's second but it was rightly ruled-out for offside. Some pinball defending followed as Nostell began to show urgency in chase of an equalizer.

It never came however and the Villagers, who had numerous chances to put the game to bed, ended the game 1-0 winners.

North Ferriby FC squad: Jordan Douglas; Ben Leyland, Laurence McKay, Dan Nichols, Levi Tarbotton; Russell Fry, Danny Norton, Eddie Birch (off 75'), Joel Shortland; Tom Corner, Andy Taylor (off 61')

Substitutes: Louis Kirk (on 75'), Lewis Exall, Morgan Brough (on 61'), Will Taylor, Kieron Walker

Attendance: 261