North Ferriby Football Club, Grange Lane, HU14 3AB 01482 634601

Match Report:

Selby Town VS North Ferriby

Selby Town FC 0, North Ferriby FC 5     Match Report (7.12.19)

Urban Newton

Two each from Tom Corner and captain James Piercy contributed to North Ferriby FC's 5-0 defeat of ten-man Selby Town.

It was arguably the best away performance of Chris Bolder's men so far this season, as it was one-way traffic all afternoon long.

Ferriby demonstrated their intent from the off. Andy Taylor and Joe Dale had consecutive efforts blocked on the edge of the home area within the first thirty seconds of play.

Selby's striker did get in behind the Villagers' back four and he rounded the onrushing Lewis Exall on the left. His tame effort was cleared by James Piercy as it slowly rolled towards goal however.

The first half was all Ferriby. The bobbly pitch meant that they could not play their usual style, though they enjoyed going direct and trying to get in behind the Selby full-backs regularly.

And on sixteen minutes, Tom Corner bagged his thirteenth goal of the season. After cute play on the edge of the home eighteen-yard-box, Andy Taylor laid it off to the striker who drilled home competently to goalkeeper Peter Lawrie's left.

Exall was tested a couple of times in the Ferriby goal, though he had no more than comfortable parries to perform.

Lawrie, on the other hand, was forced on thirty-four minutes to get down low to his near post. Ben Leyland overlapped on the right late. His low effort was well saved.

A minute later, chaos and confusion ensued. The referee pointed to the penalty-spot after the Robins' Ali Ann was deemed to have brought down a Ferriby player in a crowded area from a corner. Ali was initially handed a yellow before it was swiftly upgraded to a red, presumably for dissent.

Stand-in left-back Danny Emerton stepped up to take the spot-kick. Goalkeeper Lawrie went right and Emerton found the inner side-netting of the opposite corner.

Robins' manager Christian Fox received the only cheers from the home crowd of the day, as he confronted the referee on the pitch at the interval.

Inevitably, the pattern of the game stayed the same for the second half.

It took fifty-four minutes for the visitors to find their third too. Returning skipper James Piercy peeled off at front post of a corner from the right to flick on inside the far post.

After no centre-halves had scored all season for Ferriby, Piercy unbelievably got his second and his side's fourth just prior to the hour mark. He converted a flick-on from point-blank inside the six-yard-box by nodding over Lawrie.

Corner then joined his captain on a brace. Former Selby man Dale was denied by the goalkeeper feet on the inside left and Corner finished the rebound from ten yards into the top-right corner.

It must not go unnoticed that Selby did have the odd venture upfield however and credit has to go to the home support for their consistent verbal grievances shown against the referee all day.

North Ferriby FC squad: Lewis Exall; Ben Leyland, James Piercy ©, Levi Tarbotton, Danny Emerton; Russ Fry, Louis Kirk (off 78'); Joe Dale, Andy Taylor (off 83'), Tom Oliver; Tom Corner (off 73')

Substitutes: Jordan Douglas, Dan Nichols, Keiron Walker (on 78'), Sam Robinson (on 83'), Jason Mycoe (on 73')